Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Ongoing Projects part one: Tortilla Pizza

I liked my citrus cabbage salad so much that I've been trying a few other ideas.

I thought about how to make pizza, or something like pizza, lower in fat. My first idea was to take a what-flour tortilla (commonly called just "flour tortillas") as a base, then add pizza sauce, a modest amount of reduced-fat cheese and whatever toppings I wanted.

It worked remarkably well. Look:






But on this first try I used too little cheese. Oh, the toppings are onions, diced turkey sausage and turkey bacon. The one on the left also has poblano chile strips.

I tried again the following week, using more cheese:





Doesn't it look good? Toppings are thinly sliced turkey sausage and turkey bacon.

The tortilla works well as a base. After placing it in the oven for 15 minutes at 350 F, it's nicely toasted and a bit stiff. You do have to hold it with both hands, though, or fold it over like a quesadilla. The tasate mix is just right.

Plus flour tortillas are commonly found in three sizes. The ones in the pictures are regular. There are smaller ones called "taqueras," which are for making tacos, and bigger ones for making flautas. This gives you a lot of flexibility for meals.

The reason this is still a work in progress, however, is that I'm determined to make my own pizza sauce. I've learned garlic powder works better than fresh, minced garlic, and that a little cheese melted in the sauce goes a long way. But I haven't gotten it quite right yet. Perhaps I will next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews