Sunday, December 23, 2012

Chilorio and Ginger srambled eggs

I've been experimenting with breakfast cooking (beyond microwave oatmeal) these past few weeks. I lack the time during the week, when fifteen minutes more sleep trump a nice breakfast, but on weekends I do cook breakfast. So:

Chilorio is a dish popular in the north of Mexico, made up of shredded pork with chiles and spices. Lately a lighter kind, made with turkey, has been hitting supermarket shelves. Here's a photo of an opened can:


The small can holds 170 gr., or about half a pound. For my breakfast I use about one third of it. The rest can be refrigerated (not int he can, never refrigerate food in cans; use a small tupperware instead) for a few days. Here's the recipe for about 3 to 4 people:

Ingredients:

1 170 gr. can of Chilorio (your choice turkey or pork)
3 whole eggs
6 egg whites (give or take, I buy a half liter jar of egg whites rather than separate my own)
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
2 Tbsp. olive oil (or any other vegetable oil)
1/2 onion, chopped
3 mushrooms, roughly chopped


You can tell it's just-made because it's still steaming

In a bowl whisk the eggs and egg whites. Next heat the oil in a skillet. Add the, ginger, onion and mushrooms, and saute for 3-5 minutes, or until the mushrooms begin to brown. Add the chilorio. At first you want to keep it separate from the other ingredients and let it cook a minute. Then mix it up with the onion and mushrooms.

When the onions are slightly browned, add the whisked egg mixture. Be careful, as whites cook a lot faster than whole eggs. The mix will tend to make thin films in the sides of the skillet, so scrape them off and mix well with the rest. Cook until the egg mix is done and serve hot.

I hesitated to add more spices, as the ginger has a rather subtle flavor. But I think some pepper and a dash of Worcestershire or Tabasco would add a nice touch.

And now in my list of things to try is to cook my own chilorio. I'm thinking of doing a chicken version...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews