Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Pears

First credit where credit is due: I found this recipe posted by an online friend, who wanted to share his daughter's recipe. Thank you!

Second, I've not done much in the way of desserts, and this seemed like a good place to start.

Third, I altered the recipe proportions in one essential ingredient, sugar, which I wished to keep low. But this alters the outcome, as we'll see later.

Delicious!

Ingredients:

4 Large pears, peeled, cored and cut into large pieces
1 Bottle (750ml) of red wine
1 Tsp. grated orange peel
1/2 Cup orange juice
1 Tsp. Cardamom
1 Cinnamon stick (about 3 inches long)
1 Scoop vanilla ice cream
1 Cup sugar

As with most cooking, the larger part lies in preparing the ingredients. I found it easier to peel the pears by using a diagonal motion with the potato peeler. Don't worry about peeling near the stem or the bottom, you'll be cutting off those parts anyway (or you should).

About the sugar, the idea is to obtain a syrup in the end. For that you need 2 1/4 cups, as one cup won't do it. Still, I do watch my sugar intake, and the single cup I used made the dessert sweet enough. But in the end I get a thin, sweet sauce rather than syrup. Choose accordingly.


First mix everything but he pears in a deep saucepan, or a pot, and bring it to a slow, gentle boil (you may want to let the ice cream scoop sit a while before adding it; of course it doesn't matter if it melts). Add the pears and let them cook through, say for about 25 to 45 minutes. Remove the pears to a serving dish when they're done, and keep simmering the mix until it's reduced enough (or until it's syrupy if you go with more sugar).

I tried them right off the stove, and found them delicious and perfect for a cold night. If you serve them cold, you can add a small scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle some syrup on top. This dish has a strong, spicy, flavor.

One last thing, the cardamom is key in this recipe. It's a bit expensive (I paid about $8 for a small jar with 65 gr., or about two ounces I think), but well worth it. In contrast, any cheap, dry red wine will do nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews